New Research: Nurse Stress Reduction with Aromatherapy
Jan 02, 2020
New Research Study involving Jodi Baglien's Aromatherapy Inhalation Patches
"Impact of Essential Oils via Aromatherapy Patches on Nurses' Experience of Stress and Fatigue"
Patches Aren't Just for Patients!
Recently I had the pleasure of working with Marni Reven MSN, RN, RA, on her pilot initiative with the use of our Aromatherapy Patches at West Virginia University Cancer Institute.
Marni and her team chose to focus on the well being of the Nurses at the Infusion Center in this pilot project, with a future goal to bring Aromatherapy into patient care.
This study, though modest, provides evidence using quality practices and measures and fills the gap in the literature for high-quality aromatherapy research.
I also want to mention that Marni was one of many who presented their Posters at the 2019 Alliance of International Aromatherapist (AIA) Conference, and won the People's Choice Award for her outstanding work!
Below please find a quick recap of the study and links for more information.
Marni Reven & Jodi Baglien @ AIA Conference 2019
Patch Selected for Study:
- Pre, During, and Post Surveys with questions about
feelings and use of Complementary Alternative Therapies
- Nurses wore aromatherapy patches on badge cards, above
the waist per WVU dress code policy
- Eight patches were provided for each participant to wear
on eight separate occasions
- Pre surveys were completed after the education session and
informed consent signed
- During surveys were completed at the end of each day
when the patch was worn
- Post surveys were completed after the eighth patch was worn
- 40% to 50% reduction in perceived levels of
stress and fatigue
- 42% report no prior use of aromatherapy
- 58% would wear and recommend patch
- The stress and fatigue values significantly decreased (p = 0.001
and 0.012 respectively)
- Participant comments positively; “I enjoyed the light scent of
the patch and would most likely enjoy continuing using
aromatherapy in the workplace.”
Full Write-Up in Beckers Hospital Review!
News Press Release for More Information & Video Description!
Stay connected with us for updates, success stories, and Aromatherapy musings!
Be a part of the culture shift - receive information about Aromatherapy in healthcare.
Don't worry, we don't send too much and your information will not be shared.